• IP Copied!
    Click to Copy IP
  • Tutorial Area

SilkPenny

One thing I like about this server was how nicely done the tutorial area is. It's attractive, short and snappy. No silly tests! I also love that the spawn area is huge - nothing turns me away from a server faster than seeing a lot of derp builds near spawn. There are a couple of things I'd change about it, however...

First, I wouldn't allow the option to skip the tutorial. New players need to know the basics and too often, leave before finding out all Vulengate has to offer. For example, I've talked to players that even after playing for a week, didn't know about /jobs browse and were struggling for money. How many left the server without ever knowing?

Second, it REALLY needs to tell people the server has /rtp. Every single day, we tell players about it. Even Maddie and I spent half a night trying to get someplace away from spawn before someone told us we could RTP. It's one of the main benefits of the server, so let players know about it right away!

We have so many new people come on every day; I'd love to see more of them stay and I think that might happen if they knew more about what makes Vulengate different - and better - than other servers.

I totally agree, these are simple things that are easily changeable that make such a difference, good call penny

-Pter

Oh, and /sethome - a lot of confusion and upset could be avoided if players knew right away that the command is available to them!

I agree completely. New players often ask questions that were answered in the tutorial area. Upon joining for the first time, a message could mention /rtp. That is definitely a common question; "How can I get somewhere to build?".

Just a message saying "To leave spawn and begin building, type /rtp to teleport to the outside world." or something along those lines.

It's not a bad idea. I suspect too new players have not take much if any time to actually read the info you see when joining, they just quickly run past the info signs in the tutorial area to get started. If they were "forced" to stay a little longer before each sign to actually read them, then that might be helpful.

On the other hand ... if people have questions, then there will always be players that don't mind explaining or helping out. Players having questions might actually be the start of new ingame friendship even. I know it happened to me once or twice. :)

I am not so worried about people staying or leaving ... those who were looking for a server community this this one, will make an effort to look and ask around and will feel at home easily. Those who don't make the effort to become a member of the community were apparently looking for something else. ;)

I say that a few aspects of this is a great idea i totally agree that newer players often ask for the most simple of things that are specified in the tutorial. I also agree that having something like a splash text at spawn to let people know /rtp is a command to get to usually unpopulated land.

While the servers were down the other night, we went to oldred and oldblue and noticed that when you spawn in, a floating message tells you about /rtp. It was perfect!